Ingram Coman

Ingram Coman was listed on the 1834 Report of the Commissioners appointed to superintend the re-building of the State Capitol. Ingram was listed on the Capitol project as a “laborer” and was compensated $.50 per day.

Most likely the money that Ingram earned went entirely to his enslaver James Coman. Ingram, along with Sam, John, and Henderson Coman, are also listed on receipts detailing payments for labor in the construction of the Capitol.

James Coman was an affluent merchant who owned a store and a house in downtown Raleigh. A map from 1834 shows that James owned a lot directly west of the Capitol’s square. It is likely that Ingram lived on this property and walked to the Capitol. James Coman enslaved at least six men who worked at the Capitol.

James Coman died without a will in 1842 and his three children divided up his considerable estate of land and enslaved people. Ingram was noted specifically in the inventory of James Coman’s “property” as being one of “two negroes sold because they were unmanageable and it was thought best to sell them by all the Distributors under all the circumstances.” We do not know what those circumstances were or what happened to Ingram after James Coman’s death. 

Excerpt from the 1834 Commissioner's Report showing Ingram Coman's name with a red arrow
Here you can see Ingram Coman's name in the 1834 Commissioner's Report.
Handwritten list showing Ingram’s name, along with John and Henderson Coman.
This list shows Ingram, along with John and Henderson Coman, receiving payment for their labor at the Capitol.
Piece of a map showing James Coman’s property at lot 180 in downtown Raleigh
This map shows James Coman’s property at lot 180 in downtown Raleigh - across the street from the Capitol.


Stay in Touch

Join our email list and be the first to know about new stories, special events and more!